CEI has helped launch more than 40 charter schools over the past two decades. These charter schools have innovative and wide-ranging missions that include modeling best practices in educating autistic children to integrating classical education in the K through 12 system. Several of the schools have become national models, including Hellenic Classical Charter School
, Carl C. Icahn Charter School
, KIPP Academy
, New York Center for Autism Charter School
, and The Renaissance Charter High School
CEI provides customizable services for individuals, community groups, school leaders, boards, and organizations seeking to apply for and open a successful charter school. Services include:
- Extensive application coordination, including development of an application action plan and timeline; management of deadlines and coordination of documents for submission
- Development of instructional vision, mission, program and accountability goals
- Facilities support
- Recruiting and developing an effective board of trustees
- School leader recruitment and selection
- Support for community engagement, including partnership-building and creation of materials (focus groups presentations, meeting agendas, flyers, etc)
- Development of a target student population needs assessment
- Consulting on special populations, including student recruitment and instructional programming for English Language Learners and Students with Disabilities
- General application consulting, including research, writing, editing and feedback for applications
- Development of business and operations plans
- Mock interview and feedback to prepare for capacity interviews with authorizers.
To learn more about the charter application process in New York State, visit the New York City Charter School Center’s website where they provide an overview of the two authorizing entities in NYS (NYS Education Department and SUNY’s Charter School Institute) and their requirements. CEI can support you through all of these steps with either authorizer and then help you launch your new school!
CEI also provides the following services for existing charter schools:
- Start-up support for newly-charter schools, including applying for start-up funding, recruiting and training staff, recruiting students and preparing families for transitioning to the school, preparing facilities, establishing operating and administrative procedures, and more.
- Technical assistance for successful charter schools replicating their school model and preparation of documents for school expansions
- For schools nearing the end of their current charter term, CEI can help prepare your renewal application, conduct mock school visits to prepare for your authorizer review, and address any issues raised by the authorizer required to gain charter renewal.
Contact Carter Clawson, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information!