CEI hosted their annual Summer Leadership Institute on July 31st and over 350 participants packed the IBM Center in Armonk, NY for the event! CEI’s Institute is an opportunity for board members, administrators, and teachers to share, learn, and collaborate on current best practices.
CEI was honored to have Milady Baez as the keynote speaker, who served the Department of Education for over thirty years and is now the Deputy Chancellor, English Language Learners and Student Support. She captivated the participants with her presentation on the importance of Dual Language learning, and set the tone for an energized and productive day in the workshops.
The Institute was also an opportunity for CEI to showcase it’s professional services, and many of our field staff held workshops on topics that are available to schools. These included:
- Best Practices in New York City STEAM Schools
- Preparing Our High School Students for Success
- Ensuring Equity and Access for English Language Learners
- Data and Instructional Focus
- Infusing College and Career Readiness
- Maximizing and Aligning a Budget to 2015 Instructional Expectations
- Translating AYP for Your School Community
- Data Analysis to Address Academic Needs of High School Students
- Developing Your Leadership as a Principal
- Successful Attendance and Youth Development Strategies
- Title I Parent Engagement
- In the Middle: Characteristics of Exemplary Middle Schools
Participants were able to pre-register for two workshop classes. There was also an exhibition hall where vendors showcased their tools and services, allowing participants to test new products and ask questions.
Most importantly, the Institute allows for participants to network with their peers from schools all over the five boroughs. Participants met for lunch as a group to debrief and plan opportunities to collaborate.
Both staff and participants say that it was the best conference yet and we cannot wait to kick off the 2015-2016 school year!
For more information on CEI’s Professional Services, visit our Professional Services page here.
If you would like to receive updates on future events like this, please sign up here.